I read this great article on Innovation. Diann Daniel summarizes 7 ways to kill innovation. Following is the summary. You can read the original article here.
- Believe that innovations will “Just Happen”. You need to champion innovation in your organization it will not just happen.
- Not having a process to nurture ideas in the organization. Just brain storming is of no use.
- Lay the success of innovation solely on IT’s shoulders.
- Create an obstacle course for ideas. The process of managing innovation should be transparent and inclusive.
- View different and new as bad.
- Hand over the good ideas to any one department and not have higher level management involvement.
- Be afraid of failures.