Interesting article but I think the 3 key companies to look at are Hortonworks, Cloudera and MapR. AWS with EMR and Azure with HDInsights will be interesting to watch out too. I am planning to play around with Hortonworks offering this week…
Network World – If you’ve got a lot of data, then Hadoop either is, or should be on your radar.
Once reserved for the Internet empires like Google and Yahoo, the most popular and well-known big data management system is now creeping into the enterprise. There are two big reasons for that: 1) Businesses have a lot more data to manage, and Hadoop is a great platform, especially for combining both legacy old data, and new, unstructured data 2) A lot of vendors are jumping into the game of offering support and services around Hadoop, making it more palatable for enterprises.
Most firms estimate that they are only analyzing 12% of the data that they already have, leaving 88% of it on the cutting-room floor.
— According to Forrester’s Software Survey Q4, 2013
“Hadoop is unstoppable as its open source roots grow wildly and deeply into enterprise data management architectures,” Forrester analysts Mike Gualtieri and Noel Yuhanna wrote recently in the company’s Wave Report on the Hadoop marketplace. “Forrester believes that Hadoop is a must-have data platform for large enterprises, forming the cornerstone of any flexible future data management platform. If you have lots of structured, unstructured, and/or binary data, there is a sweet spot for Hadoop in your organization.”
So where do you start? Forrester says there are a variety of places to go, and it evaluated nine vendors offering Hadoop services to find the pros and cons of each. Forrester concluded that there is no clear market leader at this point, with relatively young companies in this market offering compelling services alongside the tech titans.